Skip to main content

The Nice Thing About Bathrooms

Yet another quiet work day here. At risk of being dubbed a sci-fi geek (which I am), I'd like to state here that switching to Open Access Internet terminals has resulted in a sort of post-atomic winter at our library, with a heaping helping of quiet and not a lot of activity. (Except for printing, that is; and it appears even this duty may be shifted to our circulation desk in the near future.) But like I've said before, I'm not one to complain about a lack of buzz.

Aye, Captain. We've scanned the area but there isn't a living being for miles around.
There are exciting things happening at work these days. Yesterday I was able to place the library's 25-year old newspaper indexing project on the Web -- something I have been trying to accomplish since arriving here over a year ago. TIL has graciously integrated the programming into our library's website and soft-launched it. We're keeping it a secret for now and will do a big unveiling for administration later next week. I am beside myself with excitement and relief that it has finally happened.

Yesterday was Movie Night at TIL's. While eating my kabocha leftovers and the last vestiges of my radish kimchi, we watched Dark City. (Sorry for stinking up your car and house, TIL.) Not a bad flick at all -- I particularly liked the dream sequence. The film was definitely a hodgepodge of aesthetics and storylines, with elements from Hellraiser, Blade Runner, Nightmare on Elm Street, and a number of others. Kiefer Sutherland of course sucked royally in the role of Dr. Daniel Schreber.

Remodeling has been going... fairly slowly. The landscape guy has turned out to be a total, incompetent loser. He finished about 90% of the job and then went on to bigger and better projects. Because water has not been routed to all of the new plants, a number of them have died. Big Loser Landscape Guy was scheduled to come by last Saturday to survey the carnage, but he never showed and never even called to apologize. Today he said he was sending his pipe guy to come do some more work; I'll believe it when I see it. I feeling rather upset about the whole experience, naturally.

On the other hand, cabinets for the bathrooms are being created by a contractor who I think is very competent and professional. (God it'll be great to have bathrooms again...) The same guy will also be prepping the existing kitchen cabinetry for painting and filling in gaps created by the "new" appliances. So, slowly but surely, things are crawling along with this crazy, unfinished house.

I don't know what's come over me, recently. The warm weather has arrived and I seem to have lapsed into some sort of doldrum-like lethargy based on my ability to sleep deeply and relax. (It makes me wonder how people to who live near the equator ever manage to get up in the morning.) I haven't been on the Net much at all in my free time (relatively-speaking) -- instead I've been finding more pleasure in the mornings watering the various Asian vegetables and other plants that I have sprouting in my garden, in a side area I call the 'tiki garden.' Even Ebay has seen much less of me these days; I wonder if there's such a thing as an Ebay Search Party that will be sent out to locate me?
Post or Read Comment (1)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Most Unusual Thing

I arrived at work hungover; this is nothing new really but it managed to set the tone for the day. Sleepy and nauseous, I soon came into contact with the what was -- so far -- the busiest day of the year. Like clockwork, all the snowbirds from Canada and Washington state have swooped down upon this small desert town in a collective, yearly effort to avoid the frigid chill of the North. One of my patrons was a well-mannered man from India who I will call "Mr. Lentil." Mr. Lentil carried with him a platinum briefcase -- contained within were a number of papers and DVDs. After introducing himself as a notable Bollywood film producer, he suggested in a roundabout way that I "might just be" what he was looking for. He explained that he was in need of a blonde lead -- the inability to speak Hindi would not pose any problems, and that airfare and accomodations would be paid in full. I agreed to the assignment and signed the relevant paperwork immediately. That was about se

RSS feeds

Sweet! My Yahoo now supports RSS feeds. How cool is that? I used to use My Yahoo simply as a patriotic act, back in the day, when they were my employer. Now I have a real reason to utilize that feature. Everything really does come full circle, doesn't it?

Stop Making Sense: Is PowerPoint Evil?

I hope everybody has read  this article  about David Byrne's forays with PowerPoint. It's completely genius. "PowerPoint is evil" was actually my own mantra for years. I totally refused to work with it throughout my first year of library school, choosing instead to work from notes when presenting papers or projects. Eyes focused on me rather than on dumbed-down points and concepts. It seemed more casual and engaging. Eventually, however, I had to give in to PowerPoint's omnipotence. Whether I was forced into it by mandate of a professor or through the dynamics of group project, I can't remember. But it happened. And suddenly I had my hands on a tool that allowed me to create a presentation from thin air. Magic! With all the busy work and deadlines of an MLIS degree, I became a willing love-slave to my new master. Although I love this article, I don't necessarily agree with the basic premise of PowerPoint's critics. The idea that PowerPoint is a d