Skip to main content

Last Flight to Georgia

I dreamt last night I was in London en route to the United States. But for whatever reason there were no direct flights, so I forced to catch a connecting flight in the former Soviet republic of Georgia before heading back home. The airplane I was on was huge -- along the same scale as those massive floating cities run by Carnival Cruises. There were dozens of entertainment areas aboard the flight so I was kept fairly occupied until I arrived in Tbilisi. I remember areas with bars (of course -- this was my dream, after all) and water slides. Entering the airport, I was shocked and amazed to discover how clean and modern it was. (It felt like a dream scene from Brave New World.) Oddly though, there was no passport control area. Instead, I was whisked directly into a modern gym where I lined up with my gym bag, anxiously looking forward to working out in the swankiest exercise joint I'd ever seen. While in line, I took in the view of about a hundred men. All of them wore white. When it was my turn to check in and receive a key, the blonde guy at the desk smiled broadly. I stared curiously at his highlighted hair.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Making Sense: Is PowerPoint Evil?

I hope everybody has read  this article  about David Byrne's forays with PowerPoint. It's completely genius. "PowerPoint is evil" was actually my own mantra for years. I totally refused to work with it throughout my first year of library school, choosing instead to work from notes when presenting papers or projects. Eyes focused on me rather than on dumbed-down points and concepts. It seemed more casual and engaging. Eventually, however, I had to give in to PowerPoint's omnipotence. Whether I was forced into it by mandate of a professor or through the dynamics of group project, I can't remember. But it happened. And suddenly I had my hands on a tool that allowed me to create a presentation from thin air. Magic! With all the busy work and deadlines of an MLIS degree, I became a willing love-slave to my new master. Although I love this article, I don't necessarily agree with the basic premise of PowerPoint's critics. The idea that PowerPoint is a d...

RSS feeds

Sweet! My Yahoo now supports RSS feeds. How cool is that? I used to use My Yahoo simply as a patriotic act, back in the day, when they were my employer. Now I have a real reason to utilize that feature. Everything really does come full circle, doesn't it?

Bolly High

I broke from my usual Southeast Asian/Korean/Japanese food leanings and prepared a hot bowl of Dal Soup with Tomato yesterday -- it turned out gorgeously. Not realizing how much I missed that cuisine, I made a mental note myself to make it more often. (One of these days I'll get adventurous and make samosas, too. Samosas are definitely one my most favorite foods on this planet.) A second dish I was preparing (bitter melon curry) was a complete failure. I knew something was wrong when I was asked to "squeeze out the excess water after salting the melon pieces." When I tried that, no liquid issued forth. The taste of the curry was awful, but fortunately it didn't matter since I had (successfully) prepared the dal dish in tandem. I have had nightmares the last two nights -- the upshot to not being able to sleep however has been the ability to get up 5am and get all sorts of housework done. Mornings are also my favorite time of the day; everything is so damn peaceful, coo...